If you are willing to put in a little time and effort, there are legitimate ways to make money online. Some jobs, such as taking surveys or testing websites, will only give you a little extra pocket money. However, other jobs, such as running a niche website or freelance writing, have the potential to become a full-time job.
- 1 Complete tasks on the Internet
- 2 Create a niche website
- 3 Freelance article writing
- 4 Sell your stuff online
Complete tasks on the Internet
You can earn €50 to €100 a month in cash or products by taking part in online surveys. Find survey sites by searching the internet for “paid surveys.” Sign up for multiple survey sites to improve your chances of being selected for higher-paying surveys. Register with an e-mail address and check your e-mails regularly so that you can react quickly to offers.
- Most surveys cost between €1 and €3 and take around 45 minutes to complete.
- You can also get paid in gift cards, free products, or by entering a sweepstakes.
- You should never pay to take a survey.
You can make money by testing the usability of a website from your home (remote usability testing). You do this by navigating through a new website and providing feedback to the owner. Most tests take around 15 minutes and cost up to €10 per test. A test involves running a scenario on the client’s website and recording the process. For example, you might be asked to go through the process of selecting and purchasing items on a retailer’s website.
- You will need a computer with a microphone, an updated web browser, and a high-speed internet connection.
Many families prefer the flexibility of an online tutor. Depending on your background, you can simply help a child with their homework or tutor students. All you need is your own computer and a high-speed internet connection. The experience you need to have depends entirely on the company. Some expect ‘great experience’ while others require a specific educational background. However, most companies require at least a university degree.
- Some companies assign students to you, while others post your profile on their website and let customers choose for themselves. 
- You can earn between €7.50 and €30 an hour depending on your educational background and the subject you are teaching.
- Sites that hire tutors for the lower grades are, for example Online-Nachhilfe.de, Nachhilfe-Team.net, Lernwerk.de, Studienkreis.de, Lernwerk.de, Sofatutoren.de and Schuelerhilfe.de.
- But you can also offer tutoring for free via an app like the TutorSpace app.
- If you live in America, you can apply to tutor the SAT or ACT test at Kaptest.com.
Create a niche website
Understand how a niche website works.
Find a profitable niche.
Starting with your interests, write down as many niche ideas as you can. Think about topics that people search for on the internet. Possible ideas include passions (such as surfing or body building), fears (such as spiders or speaking in front of large crowds), and problems (such as getting out of debt). Do keyword research to see if others are interested in the topic. Find out if a domain name is available that matches this keyword 100%.
Set up the page.
Decide on software for creating websites, such as WordPress, Joomla or Drupal. Next, choose a domain name and web host for your site. The domain name is the address of your site. A web host is a service that connects your site to the internet. Once you have a domain name and web host, go to your hosting account’s control panel and install your website platform. Design your website how you like it and install a theme.
Care for content.
Find content that certain people will find useful and that will help you climb the search engine ranks. A keyword search can help you figure out what topics people are searching for. Write content on these topics to improve your search engine rankings. You can’t make any money without visitors either.
- Use a tool like Market Samurai to do your keyword research.
- Place ads to increase traffic to your site.
- Create a marketing campaign using social networks like Facebook or Twitter.
Monetize your site.
You can choose from different monetization strategies. You can place ads on your website and get paid per visitor who clicks on it. But you can also offer products, either your own or someone else’s, and get paid per purchase.
- With Google AdSense, you install a certain code on your website so that advertising links can be displayed. You get paid per visitor who clicks on one of these links.
- You can also sell ad space on your website.
- Affiliate marketing means you market products for your niche. To do this, a link or banner ad is displayed on your site. When visitors click and make a purchase, you get a share.
Freelance article writing
Think about your expertise.
Learn the basic principles of effective writing.
As a freelance writer, most of your work will likely be published online. The principles for writing on the Internet differ slightly from the principles for printed material. The content still needs to be of high quality and well written, but the presentation should be tailored to the way people read the web.
- Due to the low resolution of online texts, many readers skim the texts rather than reading them from top to bottom. Make your writing easy to scan by dividing it into multiple sections and using meaningful headings and subheadings.
- Get straight to the point using an inverted pyramid shape. This means writing the conclusions first and only then giving examples that support them.
- Write effectively by being brief and using simple language. Aim for an average reading level of eighth grade. Avoid unnecessary and confusing words or expressions.
- Include keywords or phrases that will improve your search engine rankings.
If you’re just starting out, you may also have to accept work on subjects that you don’t really find interesting. You have to be open and willing to work in areas that don’t necessarily correspond to your ideals. However, if you stick with it, not only will you learn about different topics, you can also build a reputation. Over time, you can become more selective with your quests.
- Search the internet for freelancer websites (websites for freelancers) that are looking for contractors for work on the internet.
Get sample work.
Sell your stuff online
Find items to sell.
- Books, CDs, and DVDs sell well on Amazon.
- Collectibles, high-end clothing, and small electronics sell well on eBay.
- eBay Classifieds is best for general items like tools or toys.
Open user accounts.
Create an account on Amazon, eBay, and eBay classifieds. These platforms make it easy for sellers to open a user account. All you have to do is provide your personal information such as your name and address. The providers also need your account information in order to be able to forward the payments.
- Amazon sellers connect to their checking accounts. The proceeds from the sales go straight to your account.
- eBay will forward your payments either directly to your account or to your PayPal account.
Learn the selling guidelines.
Find out the selling price of similar items.
Consider selling large lots.
Write a full description.
Providing more details about the item increases the likelihood of a sale. Since the buyer can’t personally inspect the item before purchasing it, you should provide them with as much information about it as possible so they know what they’re buying. If an item is used, be honest and forthright about its condition.
- Read your description again before posting it.
- Use a meaningful title. It should contain key information about the product, such as its size, color, and design.